[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jul 11 23:59:58 PDT 2008

Not to be picky, but a pound lump of U-238 by itself is probably not a
Poisson emitter, either.  Neutrons, etc. do interact with the other
elements of the generating process, perhaps triggering additional
events.  And an atom of U-238 generates a single event.  Probably also
not a Poisson process.

Perhaps U-238 in a very, very low-density empty region of space?

I prefer to think of Poisson processes as entirely in the domain of
mathematics - a calculation tool - given the difficulty of proving
anything is a Poisson process.   How do we know that the apparent
indeterminacy (randomness) of physics is essential in reality or merely
a determinacy inaccessible to us, below the planck limit?  My philosophy
of science suggests that it does not matter, but yours may differ.