[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Abraham Matta matta at cs.bu.edu
Fri Jun 27 10:52:19 PDT 2008

> isn't it up to the sending side to decide when
> to stop probing the network?

I don't see a good reason for the sender *not* to stop probing the
network if it is told *explicitly* by the receiver about the rate at
which the sender should send?

Ideally, if the network *explicitly* tells the sender about a (fair or
not) rate at which the sender should send, then no probing by the sender
is needed (similar to the good old ATM explicit rate control ;)

Best,
ibrahim