[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jun 30 15:23:59 PDT 2008

Abraham Matta wrote:
>> isn't it up to the sending side to decide when
>> to stop probing the network?
>>

> I don't see a good reason for the sender *not* to stop probing the
> network if it is told *explicitly* by the receiver about the rate at
> which the sender should send?
>
> Ideally, if the network *explicitly* tells the sender about a (fair or
> not) rate at which the sender should send, then no probing by the sender
> is needed (similar to the good old ATM explicit rate control ;)

However: TCP does not probe for a "rate" but it probes for _storage_
capacity.
The "rate" is a result of selfclocking: A TCP sender is clocked / paced
by ACK packets.

Detlef Bosau                          Mail:  detlef.bosau at web.de
Galileistrasse 30                     Web:   http://www.detlef-bosau.de
70565 Stuttgart                       Skype: detlef.bosau
Mobile: +49 172 681 9937