[e2e] end of interest -- BP metadata / binary vs text

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun May 11 07:36:34 PDT 2008

"Traditional layering" my a**.  When the present Internet architecture
was constructed in the 1970's there was no OSI model at all.  It would
be revisionist (alas too common) to imagine that the *goal* of
communications architecture is to fit into a frame (OSI) that was
conceived ex post as merely an explanatory tool for the decisions about
modularity that were made on far more serious grounds than a mere
picture of a stack.

The "end to end argument" was a pattern of argumentation used to
organize architectural thinking.

I am afraid that those who treat the RFCs as scripture from high priests
mistake dogma for thoughtfulness.

RFCs started out as a frame for discussion.  For making convincing
arguments.  The act of granting an RFC a number does not (anymore than
acceptance at a peer reviewed journal does not) create a "fact" or a
"truth".

And now many on this list (which used to be above all that) behave like
Talmudic scholars or law professors - somehow thinking that by studying
merely the grammar and symbols we can ascertain what is right, what is
good, or what is fit to purpose.

The essential valid measure of DTN ideas is that they work, and will
continue to work well, *to organize the solution* to an interesting
class of real-world problems.   It is irrelevant whether they provide
the basis for destroying some "traditional paradigm" and creating a new
religion.

What made the Internet architecture useful was its attention to
"interoperation" and to facilitating support of "unanticipated"
applications and implementation technologies.  It framed those things
well, making progress possible.  DTN ideas frame a new set of issues
well - communcations that occur between entities that occupy
discontiguous regions of space-time influence.   Such communications
have always existed (books communicate across time in personal and
public libraries, postal letters transcend spatial barriers in
self-contained form) - DTN's merely ratify their importance by focusing
framing on those issues.