[e2e] end of interest -- BP metadata / binary vs text

Rajesh Krishnan rkrishnan at comcast.net
Sun May 11 08:30:07 PDT 2008

David,

My objective was to provoke discussion on the topic of whether it makes
sense to think of DTN as a session layer, as an overlay above TCP, etc.
from the e2e perspective.  If you feel this topic is unsuitable for
discussion here, I will gladly stop posting on this topic here of
course.

> I am afraid that those who treat the RFCs as scripture from high priests
> mistake dogma for thoughtfulness.

I am definitely not treating RFCs as scripture.  I am not satisfied with
the explanation that DTN/BP belongs to the "session layer" as the best
or only model.  I find this limiting, since DTN issues span all the way
from applications to the physical "layer".

> The essential valid measure of DTN ideas is that they work, and will
> continue to work well, *to organize the solution* to an interesting
> class of real-world problems.   It is irrelevant whether they provide
> the basis for destroying some "traditional paradigm" and creating a new
> religion.

Agreed.  If anyone reads my post as being about destroying old religion
and creating a new one, that is missing the point.  It is about getting
out of old shackles though; why keep doing the same thing (like the way
we fit seem to try to fit DTN into the old mold) and expect a different
result?   If we say DTN is in the session layer, we will engineer a
useful DTN session layer alright, but will a DTN session layer solve any
fundamentally new problems?  Does that limit new architectures that
could be explored?

> What made the Internet architecture useful was its attention to
> "interoperation" and to facilitating support of "unanticipated"
> applications and implementation technologies.  It framed those things
> well, making progress possible.  DTN ideas frame a new set of issues
> well - communcations that occur between entities that occupy
> discontiguous regions of space-time influence.   Such communications
> have always existed (books communicate across time in personal and
> public libraries, postal letters transcend spatial barriers in
> self-contained form) - DTN's merely ratify their importance by focusing
> framing on those issues.

Agreed.  In a DTN, among other things, we want to maximize the value of
information exchanged within a transitory encounter, and this can not be
framed entirely as a session-layer issue.  Relegating DTN to the session
layer will completely isolate it from a radio-aware CLA (or whatever
name we want to call it) among other things, which relates to a point
you made earlier.

Hope that clarifies my original post somewhat.

Best Regards,
Rajesh