[e2e] Layering vs. modularization

S. Keshav keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Wed May 14 17:55:34 PDT 2008

This note addresses the recent discussion on layering as a form of
modularization.

Layering is one particular (but not very good) form of modularization.
Modularization, as in programming, allows separation of concerns and
clean interface design. Layering goes well beyond, insisting on (a)
progressively higher levels of abstraction, i.e. an enforced
conceptual hierarchy, (b) a progressively larger topological scope
along this hierarchy, and (c) a single path through the set of
modules. None of the three is strictly necessary, and, for example in
the case of wireless networks, is broken.

Jon's message pointed to several previous designs, notably x-kernel,
that took a different cut. In recent work, (blatant
self-promotion alert) we tried to formalize these approaches in our
Sigcomm 2007 paper called "An Axiomatic Basis for Communication."

Interestingly, our approach only addressed the data plane. When we
move to the control plane, as Jon hinted, things get very hard very
fast.  Essentially, the problem is that of race conditions: the same
state variable can be touched by different entities in different ways
(think of routing updates), and so it becomes hard to tell what the
data plane is going to actually do. In fact, given a sufficiently
large network, some chunk of the network is always going to be in an
inconsistent state. So, even eventual-always-convergence becomes hard
to achieve or prove. Nevertheless, this line of attack does give some
insights into alternatives to layer-ism.

regards

S. Keshav and Martin Karsten