[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Nov 6 13:29:29 PST 2008

The original "six degrees of separation" experiment showed that networks
can route messages without being told "where".  The only argument is one
of efficiency, and that argument only applies when a) nothing moves very
fast, and b) the sender can be assumed to know "where".

Let's say I have a message for all Republicans.   I can send that
message quite reliably, without ever knowing "where" the set of all
Republicans is.  In fact, it's a feature that I can do that.  What's
particularly nice is that in some cases, it is far *more* efficient to
do that than to "first, find the locations of all Republicans" and
"second, deliver the message to that set of locations".   Maintaining a
complex location set as an intermediate computed value seems like it
would cost a lot more than just telling each Republican I know to pass
the message to any Republicans he/she knows.

OK, OK. that's not communications - because only the holy scripture of
the Cisco router defines "real" communications.  :-)  They have a patent
on it, which they license to their IETF.