[e2e] a means to an end

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 01:31:56 PST 2008

my and my big mouth -

i knew this would get hijacked into a philosohpy discussion.

I am talking about this as I think the internet community is in denial
and uses philopshy as an escape valve to avoid discussing the actual
elephant in the room

We need a new kind of network layer _service_ - to support finding end systems
as they move around and so on.

We have an idea of the workload on the service.

It is unusual kind of service for the internet community as it isnt an overlay,
it has to work inside the IP layer
as it is something end systems and routers need to share state/fate with,
(we hit this before implicity with multicast,  and couldn't ever face up to it properly)

It would be nice to capitalise on the last ten years of
internet scale content service research,
since the actual _volume_ of data in this service system is low,
but the churn is very high.

The service _might_ be implemented by some sort of 1-hop DHT
but it needs to support consistency and security.

It isnt DNS based and it isnt BGP
based because both of those technologies
have major design flaws and surive
only due to heroic bandaids

we need a Mocapetris for the 21st century, clearly

it aint me....it might be Van:)

 cheers

   jon