[e2e] a means to an end

John Day day at std.com
Thu Nov 6 15:33:05 PST 2008

I think you are worrying too much about longevity.  I would hope that
at any point in time information is somewhere.  Perhaps even in
multiple places.  This is why levels of indirection are so useful.

As for the purveying the OSI layers.  All 7 of them were wrong and
long dead.  I don't mention them when I teach and frankly find it
peculiar that how strongly everyone else seems to cling to the ideas
of data link, network and transport layers.  How quaint!

But seriously, with traditional approaches to forwarding, the
"location-ness" of the address is merely a means to keep the
combinatorial computation of the forwarding table tractable.

Actually I agree entirely with what Van is saying although I think
his focus is a bit narrow.