[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Nov 8 07:57:40 PST 2008

I thought I made it clear that I don't direct any innuendo towards
Fred.  Nowhere in this message do I attribute ANYTHING to Fred.

That said, I do attribute to "folks on this list who think that networks
should be the center of power and control",   If that can be called
"innuendo directed at Fred" I want to clarify it right here: I did not
mean that phrase to refer to Fred, not in ANY way.  As far as I know,
Fred does not believe that.  I apologize for any possible interpretation
that that phrase applied to Fred, such an interpretation was not meant
in any way.

I do think there are or have been such people on this list.  I prefer
not to embarrass them by naming them.  You can read the messages
archived to find those messages where people assert that the network
designers should decide which uses of the network are to be allowed, and
which are not.

I also referred to "servants of the market".  Perhaps my dismay at those
who continue to assert that there is no place for ethics in business, no
place for concern about the impact of the systems one designs led me to
express myself too sarcastically.

Yet I personally feel it is quite important for us NOT to design extra
"location tracking" into the base of the Internet unless it is
NECESSARY.  It is not sufficient to say it saves pennies.  The saving of
pennies can also justify designing airplanes that crash twice as often.