[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Nov 8 08:33:47 PST 2008

In this context, I re-read RFC3924.    (An informational RFC, I should
note, not a standard).  Indeed, Fred was an author of the document,
perhaps not of the design.  The second quote suggests that government
intrusion into information being sent to registries of location
information (i.e. RADIUS servers) is both desired and is actually
recommended by Cisco, at least in countries, such as my own, that have
policies that support surveillance without court supervision.

I would also note that there is no specific protection of the
information thus made available to non-governmental sources described in
the document.  Marketers, for example, such as NebuAd and Phorm, should
feel free to track location of individuals by their network footprints,
perhaps giving another use for this architectural feature.