[e2e] a means to an end

Pekka Nikander pekka.nikander at nomadiclab.com
Sat Nov 8 23:25:38 PST 2008

A few potential ingredients.

Path-specific locators seem to have lower overall utility, as such,
but have the large benefit of not being directly useful for DDoS.
Obviously, they need to be updated also when the receiver moves, not
only when the sender moves.  Overall, they share many of the problems
with source routing, but when properly designed perhaps not the most
blatant security vulnerabilities.  People seem to do just fine with
MPLS stacks...

Path-specific locators can be more easily converted to time-specific
ones than universal locators....

A market of competing services usually seems to yield better dynamics
than one centrally controlled service.   If scalability is an issue,
breaking down the service into smaller pieces may make it more
manageable.  Besides, aren't we more bowing to Reed's law than
Metcalfe's law these days?  A service per community, perhaps?

As someone else already pointed out, once you have an end-to-end
association, updating the locators becomes easier than finding the
other party in the first place.  Especially if you can make before
break, which of course is useful for any hard end-to-end services
anyway.

Aren't we moving away from end-to-end to some variant of store-and-
forward?  Or, it is all just time scales?  For 200 ms end-to-end
latency the tricks needed are different from those you need with a
2000 ms time budget; most of today's Internet traffic seems to do just
fine with 2-4s perceived latency.  (TCP duh, but that's a detail.)
Convert queues to opportunistic caches, observe that the prices of
storage still go down much faster than bandwidth, and realise that
soon you'd better send all the time on those precious long hauls even
if you don't have an immediate paying receiver.

--Pekka, ducking for tomatoes