[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Nov 9 19:11:20 PST 2008

I was referring to a different possibility thinking from the viewpoint
of a "network over networks" that provides connectivity among IP
end-hosts:  there is no reason not to have a number of competing routing
systems all sharing (agreeing to) the same IP (v4 or v6) address space,
at a planetary scale.  That could be done by using LSR or GRE or
tunneling to get from and endpoint to the first hop router of its chosen
routing system.

Today's "tunnel broker" system for IPv6 actually looks a bit like that -
it competes with the "standard" IPv4 routing to get to a subset of the
same endpoints.   And a corporate "intranet" also looks like that,
approximately.  But I am talking about a "public" not a "private" Internet.