[e2e] TCP improved closing strategies?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Aug 19 05:19:57 PDT 2009

Since you persist in being a jerk, Mr. Simpson, I suggest you ask
someone who actually was involved what role I played in the "crypto
wars" (a small one, but an important one, I think, which legitimized
public key crypto in the broad public market), and what role I played in
attempting to get TCP (the original version) made cryptographically
secure from the beginning when I was working to try to get Steve Kent's
work into the original standard, despite NSA opposition.

Yes, I speak flamboyantly sometimes.  Sometimes I need to apologize as a
result. That is needed to cut through the crap spewed as arguments that
are grounded in the notion that security is about "patching" against the
last attack, or grounded in the idea that protocol design is about byte
ordering and understanding the difference between MUST and SHOULD.

Your insults miss the mark, because they are wrong.  I'm happy to
apologize if you feel personally insulted.  However, the situation that
concerns me remains: this whole project of "securing DNS" is a pile of
bad designs aimed at a narrow script-kiddie threat, while opening up a
window for far greater attacks (DDOS, etc.) and leaving the barn door
open to a wide variety of problems, both security problems and authority
problems.

A real, pragmatic security expert would realize the security 101 is: if
you strengthen A, but leave B weak, the attackers will move to B.   If
you strengthen A against one attack, but but leave problems unaddressed
that create a set of new attacks in the process, you actually make the
problem worse, not better.

The best solution for security starts with an "end-to-end" understanding
of the fundamental function you are trying to provide, and its security
requirements.  Typically "optimizations" introduced in *security*
situations have the property of not fully solving the problem, but even
worse, introducing new problems (hence the introduction of TCP
statefulness into a DNS adds the potential of attacks through state
disruption, and the introduction of kernel-implemented TCPs with a wide
variety of quirks introduces far more attacks through kernel-access paths).

Perhaps this doesn't matter in your world.  It matters in the *real*
world, where I happen to live.