[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Xai Xi xaixili at live.com
Tue Feb 10 12:19:47 PST 2009

are you saying that a congestion-based loss process cannot be modeled or predicted? a tool, badabing, from sigcomm'05, claims to be highly accurate in measuring end-to-end loss processes.

David wrote:
> A "loss process" would be a mathematically more sound term, because it
does not confuse> the listener into thinking that there is a simplistic,
memoryless, one-parameter model that> can be "discovered" by TCP's
control algorithms.
> That said, I was encouraging a dichotomy where the world is far more
complicated:
> congestion drops vs. connectivity drops.  One *might* be
able to make much practical
> headway by building a model and a theory of
"connectivity drops".