[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Feb 11 14:07:19 PST 2009

Copying the specific communicants in this thread as my postings to
end2end-interest require moderator approval (I guess I'm not an
acceptable person for some reason, and the moderator has told me that
he will not tell me what rule prevents me from posting without
moderation).

I think you're communicating just fine. I understood, and agreed with,
your comment.

I actually think that a more important model is not loss processes,
which as you describe are both congestion-related and related to other
underlying issues, but a combination of several underlying and
fundamentally different kinds of processes. One is perhaps "delay
processes" (of which loss is the extreme case and L2 retransmission is
a partially-understood and poorly modeled contributor to). Another
might be interference processes (such as radio interference in
802.11/802.16 networks) that cause end to end packet loss for other
reasons. In mobile networks, it might be worthwhile to distinguish the
processes of network change - from the perspective of an endpoint that
is in motion, its route, and therefore its next hop, is constantly
changing and might at times not exist.

Looking at it from a TCP/SCTP perspective, we can only really discuss
it as how we can best manage to use a certain share of the capacity
the network provides, how much use is counterproductive, when to
retransmit, and all that. But understanding the underlying issues will
contribute heavily to that model.