[e2e] Data flow models for real-time applications

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Feb 17 07:21:09 PST 2009

I think you also need to define "real time". The term derives from the
historical milleiu around 1990. It is specifically defined in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1633.txt
  to refer to communications that have a stated end to end delay
requirement, which turns out to be more practically addressed as a
bandwidth requirement - a voice or video codec will generally require
a rate within a range or within one of several ranges. Fundamentally,
the difference is by comparison to elastic applications such as those
that run over TCP; they will adjust themselves infinitely up to a
point derived from the retransmission or drop-dead configuration of
the communicants, while real-time applications break in some way.

But there are a number of other applications that have real-time
characteristics that are not play-back applications. Sensor traffic
comes to mind; certain classes of sensors generate traffic at a
certain rate, either regardless of circumstances or under certain
circumstances, and if it doesn't get through there is no
retransmission on the theory that it wasn't all that important. An
example that has been proposed is with the CalTech Earthquake lab; if
they had cheap seismometers built into set-top boxes in people's homes
(say), whenever there is a jiggle above some threshold they could get
an arbitrary number of UDP reports with a GPS location and a seismic
reading. Now, that would have the characteristics of a DDOS attack
(when there is a jiggle near CalTech, a *lot* of homes might be
affected), so they had jolly well better have enough bandwidth in place.

So when you say "real time", what do you mean - voice/video playback
applications? Sensor traffic, and if so of what types? Is there
something else (I'll bet there is but haven't spent a lot of time
thinking about it)?