[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Injong Rhee rhee at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 20 04:38:40 PST 2009

Agreed. It is rather silly to raise your window at the time of full
utilization; it ends up filling up the buffer and increase delays. But
unless we have some mechanism that tells explicitly how much utilization a
flow has in all the links that flow goes through (e.g., ECN on all links),
loss based congestion control will stay, i think. Going back to the original
question, differentiating congestion related losses from other losses is
important and I believe it can be done effectively. The point is that we
don't have to differentiate all the losses -- the congestion related losses
seem to be rather easier to distinguish from the other types of losses whose
models or patterns are not well understood.