[e2e] IPv6 NAT

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Feb 23 11:43:58 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Detlef Bosau wrote:

> (However, there's some romour, that some folks want it for IPv6. But
> we all know Einsteins famous quote about the infinity of the
> universe ;-))

There are two discussions of NAT/IPv6 going on. One is a tool for
assisting IPv4/IPv6 conversion for networks (mostly ISP) that have not
been smart enough to be ready for the present state, and as such is
intended to be temporary. The other surrounds GSE and is looking at
routing scalability, and btw could be used for certain kinds of making-
things-a-little-less-obviously-insecure (which is to say that it's a
security-related question but not the asymptotic approach to insanity
that some folks seem to enjoy).