[e2e] TCP Loss Differentiation

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at nokia.com
Mon Feb 23 08:12:06 PST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-2-21, at 3:46, David P. Reed wrote:
> I think we have no serious debate on any of these things.  I know
> Cisco's products support ECN, it's really an endpoint stack problem,
> and
> the word "lead" was meant to suggest use of Cisco's bully pulpit
> (white
> papers, etc.).

FYI - and this may be clear to you but maybe not to everyone - it's
not so much an endpoint problem in the sense that ECN wasn't
implemented, it's an endpoint problem in the sense that turning it on
makes broken middleboxes misbehave, to a degree where Microsoft for
example has decided to leave it off in Vista. See Dave Thaler's slides
from a recent IETF meeting:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/tsvarea-3/sld6.htm (and
the one following)

So we're realistically looking at a deployment delay of max(OS upgrade
cycle, NAT upgrade cycle).

That same slide deck has interesting information on the deployment
feasibility of several other TCP features (window scaling, DSACK, F-
RTO).

Lars