[e2e] Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Jaime Mateos mateosj at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 23 03:26:54 PDT 2009

Hi,
I'm working on a project about the current challenges the Internet is
presenting to the end-to-end argument. I'd be interested to know about
any protocols, currently in use, that break the end-to-end principle and
the context where they are used. So far the only one I've found is TCP
PEP that seems to be in use in satellite networks (Internetworking and
computing over satellite networks, Yongguang Zhang -
http://books.google.ie/books?id=3pkI6OWUsRAC&pg=PA170&lpg=PA170&dq=criticisms+of+end+to+end+principle&source=bl&ots=OVbMYc5Iso&sig=Tir1Xi4vxRG5HG2ieGCgl2STWcA&hl=en&ei=vL7TSor9Bs2z4QbW8_H_Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=criticisms%20of%20end%20to%20end%20principle&f=false)

There also seems to be a number of research projects such as Split TCP
and LTP-T that I've come across. I'm also interested in these but not to
the same degree as in protocols that are currently in use today.

Thanks,
Jaime Mateos