[e2e] Fie on future internet

rsofia@inescporto.pt rsofia at inescporto.pt
Tue Mar 2 22:56:43 PST 2010

Hello Jon,

my 2cents on the "Future Internet" buzz...

In addition to what has been discussed for the past 5 or 6 years,
during ARCADIA, FIRE, etc., there are in fact some paradigm changes
which are worth to be explored. Some initiatives (like EIFFEL) are
trying to do that in a constructive way, by bringing together people
:) that can ignite new topics and - the key point to mention - by
asking the community to comment on such topics. Topics such as
virtualization impact, SDR, control by the operators and the way this
is being changed by user-empowered are IMO worth discussing. They are
relevant and not well explored.

As for FI stuff that may serve as an example to other fields...but
hasn't this been done before? I recall from my previous affiliation
(access vendor) that FI was the chicken of the golden eggs, in
particular for access vendors which, in the beginning of the current
crisis had to try to re-invent themselves and their focus. So most of
them turned to "megacities", to energy-awareness, etc., and tried to
apply networking and the Internet to these new goals...where exactly
is the difference to what triggered this thread ?

So some hints on how to solve this FI "issue"/fashion:

1. Differentiate (provide a categorization) between what may really be
a teaser topic, and what for sure is not...Energy-awareness that is
not green, or let's say energy awareness that just looks into making a
box green for sure is a turn-off.

2. Stop calling it "future". The future is now (and it seems it has
been since 55 :-D ). It's the Internet evolution anyway and we are
already living it whether we like it or not. Why not call it
disruptive Internet architectures/services? Isn't this what FI is all
about if we consider a non clean slate approach? the fact is that we
have a few services and architectures which disrupt Internet's
operation, Internet stakeholders, as well as Internet basic
principles...

3. try to understand which topics may be true paradigm shifts. What is
here being named as "decentralization" and which seems to me to be
"user-empowerment" (decentralization is simply a way to say that some
control functionality is moving from common providers to users) will
no doubt provide paradigm shifts, from an architectural, e2e perspective

BR,
Rute