[e2e] TCP implementations in various OS's

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed May 12 02:42:56 PDT 2010

Hagen Paul Pfeifer wrote:
> I threat the query from Anoop pragmatically,

Oh, the poor query ;-)
>  currently he is only interested
> in Window scaling. Window scaling underlies no MUST/SHOULD/COULD/WHATEVER
> semantic. Sensor networks for example can disable window scaling where on the
> other hand satelite/internet2 networks requires the full range of scaling.

See my remark above. On satellite links, window scaling may well be
appropriate.

However, on terrestrial links TCP sessions doing window scaling are
simply misbehaved in the vast majority of cases. (Even if _all_ sessions
did so, because it is not our goal to support hardware vendors but to
keep the queues small.)

For a general purpose protocol, we assume route transparency. So the
problem is to know whether window scaling actually makes sense or not.
This may be a question of wheter a one size fits all approach in TCP
really makes sense or if we should make a difference between enzygotic
twins like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dany deVito.

> Window scaling is a option where the user can and should use the value that
> fits into his particular environment. This generates a lot of varities - but
> with good cause. ;-)

The _user_?

Beware of users, my friend!

There is nothing such as terrible als OSI layer 8. (credits to H. Oldach.)

--
Detlef Bosau            Galileistraße 30        70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031  mobile: +49 172 6819937 skype: detlef.bosau