[e2e] TCP implementations in various OS's

sthaug@nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed May 12 03:55:22 PDT 2010

> See my remark above. On satellite links, window scaling may well be
> appropriate.
>
> However, on terrestrial links TCP sessions doing window scaling are
> simply misbehaved in the vast majority of cases. (Even if _all_ sessions
> did so, because it is not our goal to support hardware vendors but to
> keep the queues small.)

Why on earth do you say "simply misbehaved in the vast majority of cases"?
If I have a TCP connection with 35 ms RTT, this connection will be limited
to 15 Mbps unless I do window scaling.

Also, *your* goal may be to keep queues small. That is not necessarily
the goal of all operators in all situations.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no