[e2e] TCP Performance with Traffic Policing

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Fri Aug 12 08:48:26 PDT 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 7:03 AM, Barry Constantine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some testing to compare various TCP stack behaviors in the midst of traffic policing.
>
> It is common practice for a network provider to police traffic to a subscriber level agreement (SLA).
>
> In the iperf testing I conducted, the following set-up was used:
>
> Client -> Delay (50ms RTT) -> Cisco (with 10M Policing) -> Server
>
> The delay was induced using hardware base commercial gear.
>
> 50 msec RTT and bottleneck bandwidth = 10 Mbps, so BDP was 62,000 bytes.
>
> Ran Linux, Windows XP, and Windows 7 clients at 32k, 64k, 128k window (knowing that policing would
> kick in at 64K)
>
>                Throughput for Window (Mbps)
>
> Platform        32K        64K        128K
> Linux          4.9         7.5         3.8
> XP             5.8         6.6         5.2
> Win7           5.3         3.4         0.44

The folks in tcpm might be better able to help? but I'll point-out one nit - "Linux" is not that much more specific than saying "Unix" - it would be goodness to get into the habit of including the kernel version.  And ID the server since it takes two to TCP...

happy benchmarking,

rick jones
Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events