[e2e] TCP Performance with Traffic Policing

Eli Dart dart at es.net
Fri Aug 12 09:10:57 PDT 2011

The thing about policers is that they induce loss.  So, what you're
really testing is the ability of a TCP implementation to recover from
loss under high-latency conditions, and adapt a connection to the
existence of a bottleneck link with no buffer when TCP has potentially
allocated more window than the BDP of the path requires.

(I'm assuming that the host interface was 100Mbps or faster - this means
that the bursts coming out of the host have an instantaneous rate that
is probably at least 10x the policed rate, increasing the chance of loss
even if the window is not too big).

In my experience, most TCP implementations (and I say most only because
I have not exhaustively tested all the various flavors) perform poorly
in circumstances where there is any loss at all and latency is over
15-20 msec.

Thanks,

		--eli

--
Eli Dart                                            NOC: (510) 486-7600
ESnet Network Engineering Group (AS293)                  (800) 333-7638