[e2e] TCP Performance over WWAN

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Aug 15 01:38:17 PDT 2011

On 08/14/2011 11:20 PM, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Best wait for the podcast/transcript of Dave questioning Andrew, rather
> than interrogating me.
>                  - Jim

Fine.

However, from a second glance: Because I want to do research based upon
these things, I have to make a very clear distinction between problems
and bugs.

So, when we talk about latencies and loss, are these structural problems
where scientific research is necessary? Or are we talking about
implementation bugs?

Or, to state it political incorrect: We all know, that Windows has lots
of bugs. However, these are no scientific problems and it is not up to
the university to make M$ programmers reed textbooks on OS ;-)

This may sound harsh, however, when I submit a paper on wireless
networks, the remark: "This is no scientific problem but an artifact or
a bug" is likely to be the first reviewer comment.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau