[e2e] Linux TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Aug 19 07:39:07 PDT 2011

On 08/19/2011 05:09 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
>> 4) And in the end: Linux do everything to be fair, knowing that it is used as
>> a Server/Networking OS.

I use Linux as a workstation OS. Am I doing something wrong?

>> But you cannot stop users with root access to harm the
>> network.

You can prevent users from getting root access.

>>   They can do everything beside selecting the CC algorithm (e.g.
>> starting traffic generator at line rate ...). [2]
> No argument here. But as I said above, giving folks tuning knobs is very different from defaulting them to a non-standard CC algorithm.

Linux is frequently used by ordinary users.

And because Linux boasts with "BIC" and "CUBIC", some users think
themselves to be network experts.

My aim is that we eventually obey standards and don't abuse ordinary
workstations as harmful network experimental equipment.

Detlef
> Lars
>
> PS: And note that I have nothing against CUBIC. What I dislike is individual implementations that unilaterally decide to move beyond community consensus, esp. in their shipping default. (When I was Transport AD I actually really tried to get CUBIC, C-TCP and H-TCP to published as Experimental RFCs, like Highspeed was. But it seemed like the authors never actually cared enough to move the work from the IRTF to the IETF.)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau