[e2e] TCP Performance with Traffic Policing

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Aug 18 09:44:51 PDT 2011

On 08/18/2011 08:30 AM, Alexander Zimmermann wrote:

> -  Your receiver is not a linux box ;-) Why? Linux the Quick ACKs (=
> disabling Delayed ACKs) after an
> out-of-oder phase, so that the sender can quickly enlarged his CWND

Is this discussed somewhere in the RFC?

Actually, I'm somewhat confused how some people understand "engineering"
in the field of computer networks.

We all know the saying: ""If builders built buildings the way
programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker that came along would
destroy civilization."
I sometimes worked together closely with civil engineers. And for those,
there are legal duties and the law, then there are the ten commandments
- however, the highest authority at all are the standards.

So, why do we have RFC and why do we have standards, when each and every
weird programmer does write his own mess?
Computer Science is old enough and great enough and ugly enough to
become a grown up discipline. And therefore, we should expect an OS to
implement TCP/IP as it is defined in the RFC.

This is particularly important in the world of internetworking, because
we often use distributed algorithms there and being well behaved and
conforming to standards is the by far most important foundation in this
field.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937