[e2e] TCP Performance with Traffic Policing

Hagen Paul Pfeifer hagen at jauu.net
Thu Aug 18 11:38:34 PDT 2011

* Detlef Bosau | 2011-08-18 18:44:51 [+0200]:

>On 08/18/2011 08:30 AM, Alexander Zimmermann wrote:
>>
>>-  Your receiver is not a linux box ;-) Why? Linux the Quick ACKs
>>(= disabling Delayed ACKs) after an
>>out-of-oder phase, so that the sender can quickly enlarged his CWND
>>

>Is this discussed somewhere in the RFC?

No, Quick ACK is not documented in and RFC or i-d.

>This is particularly important in the world of internetworking,
>because we often use distributed algorithms there and being well
>behaved and conforming to standards is the by far most important
>foundation in this field.

Detlef, I don't understand your critics about Quick ACK. Quick ACK as used in
Linux is really conservative. It is disabled as soon as the communication is
rated bi-directional. Wrapped sequence numbers (PAWS) and all required
characteristics covered by Delayed ACK IS covered by Quick ACK. Trust me, I
studied the behavior exactly (and even started to wrote an I-D ;-)

Hagen