[e2e] Linux TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Aug 19 09:09:47 PDT 2011

On 08/19/2011 04:49 PM, Hagen Paul Pfeifer wrote:

> In my opinion there will always be a race between Standardization bodies
> like IETF and real world networking stacks. With one important attribute:
> respect.

There must not be a "race" like this.

Perhaps we cannot really agree on this one, however engineering science
is not a race or a competition.
It is proper science which either obeys proper rules or ends up as pure
botch.

We well can leave engineering to practitioners, we well remember
"Indiana's squared circle", which is inevitably the result.

At least, I'm severely disappointed by persons, who grip knowledge and
know how from the academic world, however this kind of "team work" does
not reach that far that they will tell us which algorithms they're using
and which algorithms we shall debug.

An operating system which is widespread for everyday use must not be
abused as an experimental box for tests which belong to a lab. And
anything what is to be deployed in the Internet should take his way to
the usual discussions and standardization bodies. This is a direct
consequence of the well proven rule "First do no harm!"

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau