[e2e] TCP sequence number reset

Kacheong Poon ka-cheong.poon at oracle.com
Wed Mar 30 07:56:14 PDT 2011

On 03/30/11 08:40 PM, Detlef Bosau wrote:
> I just had a very first glance at the discussion with you and Joe. And I
> think, Joes comments go into the same direction as those by Marcel.
> When your design goal / whatever can be accomplished by using SCTP, you
> should use it. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, there is even
> lesser need to reinvent TCP and to turn TCP into a worse SCTP.
>
> Perhaps you should focus more on the problem you want to solve instead
> of dealing with more or less useless analogies.

Let me repeat one more time, I am not trying to solve any issue
using the TCP reset mechanism.  I've never said that, have I?
I am not trying to propose a TCP reset mechanism.  I want to hear
people's comment about such a mechanism.  In fact, I have strong
reservation about the SCTP TSN/SSN reset mechanism.  And I believe
what people have said against TCP sequence number reset applies to
SCTP TSN/SSN reset.  Each stream in an SCTP association is just
like a TCP connection.  As many folks have commented, resetting
TCP sequence number does not sound right.  The same thinking applies
well to the SCTP case.

--

					K. Poon.
					ka-cheong.poon at oracle.com