[e2e] SCTP TSN/SSN reset

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:06:37 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 05:05 AM, Kacheong Poon wrote:
> I guess I should summarize the confusion (!) I created on
> this list by asking a wrong question.

It seems only appropriate given the "confusion" was created by your
attempt to deceive your audience and your failure to disclose the axe
you were grinding.

> Although IMHO the same comments apply well to SCTP, I cannot
> say for sure that folks who had commented think the same.

You really ought to give up defending your mistake and start over.
TCP is not capable of carrying multiple distinguished streams as part
of a single connection and so is not an appropriate analogy.  IMO
nothing said about the utility of resetting TCP sequence numbers
within an established connection can be directly applied to SCTP,
simply because SCTP uses transport sequence numbers as initial stream
sequence numbers, which use can not be modeled by a TCP analogy.  You
might as well be arguing that retractable landing gear on airplanes
are useless because your car has never once needed to retract its
gear.

Cheers,
Dave Hart