[e2e] Google seeks to tweak TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Feb 2 09:06:49 PST 2012

On 02/02/2012 04:51 PM, Arjuna Sathiaseelan wrote:
> Dear Deltef,
>    Even Matt mathis who came up with the notion of TCP-friendliness has
> had a change of mind on how TCP should be ;) - and he is in Google now
> :)..

Google is a search engine. Neither God nor the government of the world.

And TCP is something to exchange data with. No more, no less.

And although it's completely off topic here, I would like to state that
in my opinion Google has by far too much influence in politics,
administration and even science.

> TCP is OK - but the way TCP works can be changed IMO...The ICCRG was
> exactly looking at this...

Anything can be changed - when there are valid reasons for doing so.

> I dont see any reason why TCP shouldnt be aggressive - being

I see billions of reasons. They are called users.

> aggressive for a few RTTs is ok IMHO - but it should respond well to

And for how many RTTs aggressiveness is acceptable?

As I was told by a Telco guy, the first and main duty of a customer of
the "Deutsche Bundespost" was not to disturb the system and not to
disturb other customers.

In times of "social skill" and "EQ", this is sometimes referred to as
living in a well behaved community. And in that, Google plays _one_
role. Like any other people in the world. Google is not alone on this
planet.

> any congestion signal...with better network response (ECN, Re-ECN etc)
> - TCP could well change its behaviour..

Everyone is free to do research in this field and to discuss his results
within the community - and when changes make sense, everyone is free to
contact the IETF and to convince them by compelling work.

However, care should be taken not to let any unrecognized genius mistake
the world as his private playground.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937