[e2e] Google seeks to tweak TCP

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:22:01 PST 2012

On 3 February 2012 04:06, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:

> Everyone is free to do research in this field and to discuss his results
> within the community - and when changes make sense, everyone is free to
> contact the IETF and to convince them by compelling work.

When the IETF started, the founders were told that everything should
go through the ISO.  The IETF community found the ISO too slow, and
just  experimented for themselves.  The same applied to the ITU-T and
the ATM forum.

Is it possible that the "TCP innovators" are now just finding the IETF
too slow, and doing exactly as the founders of the IETF did?  Some
argue that the Internet is more vital infrastructure now, and so this
isn't a fair comparison.  However the telephone infrastructure was
already vital when the ATM forum took matters into their own hands.

To remain relevant for congestion control, the IETF needs to balance
responsibility with responsiveness.

$0.02,
Lachlan

(Speaking of being too slow, one day I will finish the TCP evaluation
test suite that I started five years ago...)

--
Lachlan Andrew  Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures (CAIA)
Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia