[e2e] Google seeks to tweak TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Feb 3 05:54:31 PST 2012

On 02/02/2012 11:22 PM, Lachlan Andrew wrote:
> On 3 February 2012 04:06, Detlef Bosau<detlef.bosau at web.de>  wrote:
>
>> Everyone is free to do research in this field and to discuss his results
>> within the community - and when changes make sense, everyone is free to
>> contact the IETF and to convince them by compelling work.
> When the IETF started, the founders were told that everything should
> go through the ISO.  The IETF community found the ISO too slow, and
> just  experimented for themselves.  The same applied to the ITU-T and
> the ATM forum.

Research does not happen arbitrarily fast.
> Is it possible that the "TCP innovators" are now just finding the IETF
> too slow, and doing exactly as the founders of the IETF did?  Some

Then they are free to develop their "brandndew powerful Internet 21" and
to sell it to the public.

> argue that the Internet is more vital infrastructure now, and so this
> isn't a fair comparison.  However the telephone infrastructure was
> already vital when the ATM forum took matters into their own hands.
>
> To remain relevant for congestion control, the IETF needs to balance
> responsibility with responsiveness.

The important word is "balance".

And you know, I know what I'm talking about. You were perhaps the only
one in the world not to know of our little train station problem here in
Stuttgart.
And exactly there, our government, the authorities, the public and the
"Deutsche Bahn" have a matter of responsibility and responsiveness ;-)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau