[e2e] [Iccrg] Re: Reasons not to deply TCP BIC/Cubic

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sun Feb 5 05:33:54 PST 2012

On 02/05/2012 03:40 AM, Lachlan Andrew wrote:

> The line "the integral of the packet density around the sender–
> receiver–sender loop is a constant" says that the window is constant.

Isn't this a rationale for stability here?

>> VJCC is a pure window based control. Only window based. Nothing said about
>> rates. And I'm extremely careful to make a clear difference between both.
> "packet density" = rate.

The "packet density" or "rate" does not even appear explicitly in TCP/Reno.

And actually, it does not make sense here. Anaylitcal work, as far as I
have seen them, assumes continuous functions here where continuous
functions even do not exist. The whole thing is done with the only
purpose to apply the apparatus of differential equations on discrete
processes. This is not impossible per se, however it is a difficult
task. And I'm not sure, whether we learn that much new by doing so.

> Cheers,
> Lachlan

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30