[e2e] Discrete IP

Zartash Afzal Uzmi zartash at lums.edu.pk
Wed Sep 12 22:36:11 PDT 2012

Dear Pars,

If you are an end user, your "application" should be able to "talk" to anyone if your network uses IPv4 and their network uses IPv6. At the network layer, there must be "someone" in the middle who can understand both versions. This someone could be any router at a service provider and as an end user, all you would need to worry about is to be able to connect to your service provider. So, for example, if your provider only has an IPv6 network, then yes your end host is restricted to use IPv6.

There are situations (not rare, these days) when a service provider will allow end-user connectivity either through IPv4 or IPv6. So, it is up to the provider how they connect to the other service providers (IPv6 or IPv4 or any other version).

If you are a service provider, and do not support IPv6, then you can not "directly" connect with another provider who only supports IPv6. But then, you might be going through yet another larger service provider who would support both versions.

Regards,
Zartash