[e2e] Discrete IP

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Sun Sep 16 02:21:09 PDT 2012

Hi,

This discussion seems to be about "what would be good design" vs.
pragmatic "what can we standardize and deploy now".

I think that your proposal falls in the first category, like the
PlutArch paper that Jon Crowcroft has pointed to, and like John Day's
book!
http://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Network-Architecture-Return-Fundamentals/
I think that this book covers a lot of what you'd like to see, in
great detail.

In the second category, I think the IETF is doing the best it can,
e.g. with point solutions like indeed 6lowpan and recent things
happening in the IRTF RRG.
If you think that these solutions are not far reaching enough, why not
make a concrete proposal?

Simply saying "the architecture is wrong, it should be X" is fine, but
then you're in the world of research where I'd say what you propose is
nothing new.

Cheers,
Michael