[e2e] Discrete IP - retake

Pars Mutaf pars.mutaf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 02:25:55 PDT 2012

Off-list messages that I received indicate to me that I was not taken
seriously
because I am too modest. I was called a troll and hobbyist. I have in fact
a PhD in
computer science from INRIA, France. I am now an asst prof. in Turkey.
But I let go my PhD title because my thinking evolved beyond your
imagination ;-).
Check and support my project (off-list please this is off-topic):

http://www.content-based-science.org/

What is important is the content. Not the name.

Now back to our topic. IPng was clearly designed the wrong way. Now read
the
message again, this is the result of 15 years thinking:
-----

Dear colleagues,

I believe that the next step in IP's evolution would not be IPv6. It would
be "Discrete IP" allowing any IP version.
I concluded that Discrete IP better respects the end-to-end principles
therefore it is economically more viable.

***Do not touch the existing Internet, do not assume that IPv6 is the end of
centuries of research.***

-I propose that we do not touch the core Internet, i.e. enforce the
modification of all Internet routers, this is what IPv6 does.
-People should be free to choose the IP version that they wish because
deciding for others is a technology blocker. IETF designs IPv6, IETF blocks
its development. Because IETF does not give freedom of choice. This is not
normal. Some entities may use IPv6 others IPv4 yet others IPv7 for unknown
reasons. Everybody may agree on IPv6, or not. We do not know. We do not
have to.
-To give such freedom of choice, we need to change the end-nodes, for
example TCP.
-This is the end-to-end principle.

Here is a picture (in this picture we have a network of Internets running
random IP versions):
http://htmlimg4.scribdassets.com/3798kx3chs1szfhj/images/4-ce35c39dd1.jpg
The question is:
***Would this be the ideal for the Internet? Please discuss this question
without entering in design challenges.***

For more information, see my unpublished paper:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105448105/Discrete-IP

Cheers,
Pars

--