[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 4 04:31:00 PDT 2013

Simple question. Where is "fair dropping" that different from "fair
queueing"?

I'm with you that we try to obviate the need of some reasonable resource
management in the Internet. However: When you require some "fair
dropping" mechanism, you could simply use the same implementation and
instead of scheduling n flows in a round robin manner like this: "Each
turn, one flow is served and n-1 packets are dropped" frame as "Each
turn, one flow is served and the other n-1 flows wait." And then you
have the fair queueing approach which already well exists. And which you
reject because it would be too expensive.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau