[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Apr 8 03:25:10 PDT 2013

Am 06.04.2013 12:56, schrieb Jon Crowcroft:
> In missive <515FFA56.7060200 at web.de>, Detlef Bosau typed:
>
>   >>>>  Manu, how do you want to implement fair queueing on a backbone router
>
>   >>> First, I've never claimed that I wanted to implement such mechanism=20
>   >>> inside the core router.
>
>   >>I see. Howver: To my understanding, fair queueing must be available on=20
>   >>any router in this approach?
>

> not necessarily - see Core Stateless Fair Queueing
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~istoica/csfq/

What is particularly appealing here is the fact that there is no
necessity to handle each TCP flow individually, the "flows" themselves
are already aggregates. And the "fair dropping" happens within the
flows, hence assumed TCP flows are "somewhat homogeneously mixed within
a flow", the random drop within a flow may fairly affect all TCP flows
along this aggregate flow.

It is, however, still a "fair drop approach" which makes flows match
their fair share of bandwidth by dropping packets. So, I expect at least
the "mice elephant problem" is not eventually solved here?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau