[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 4 08:23:09 PDT 2013

After some additional thinking: "Fair dropping" is exactly what we
attempt to do in the moment.

However, VJCC and flavours affect the /throughput///while the
decongestion work affekts the /goodput/.

So both solutions will encounter the same difficulties, however one of
them is cheaper.

O.k., workshop paper, that's fine. That's the purpose of workshops:
Gather ideas, present them, assess them.

DB

Am 04.04.2013 13:31, schrieb Detlef Bosau:
> Simple question. Where is "fair dropping" that different from "fair
> queueing"?
>
> I'm with you that we try to obviate the need of some reasonable
> resource management in the Internet. However: When you require some
> "fair dropping" mechanism, you could simply use the same
> implementation and instead of scheduling n flows in a round robin
> manner like this: "Each turn, one flow is served and n-1 packets are
> dropped" frame as "Each turn, one flow is served and the other n-1
> flows wait." And then you have the fair queueing approach which
> already well exists. And which you reject because it would be too
> expensive.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937