[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Apr 15 02:10:51 PDT 2013

After quite some time, I once again thought about your paper.

Even the name "decongestion" is misguiding. As DPR stated: Erasure codes
do not obviate the need of congestion control.
And the "decongestion" in your paper does not "decongest" the net - i.e.
deliver the network from load which cannot be handled.
Actually, it is some kind of degradation, because in case of TCP, the
goodputs are throttled.

Congestion is not a goodput issue but actually a throughput issue.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau