[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Fred Baker (fred) fred at cisco.com
Wed Apr 10 13:44:26 PDT 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Daniel Havey <dhavey at yahoo.com>
 wrote:

>> In the face of this, what I don't understand is why this
>> thread has gone on for so long.  Surely it should be
>> allowed to die, given that the core -- possibly reasonable
>> -- concern was long-ago answered.
> So I don't understand this.  The so called "bufferbloat" problem is solved in the core?  But pragmatically speaking it still exists?  This wont get me a PhD, but, one has to ask, why?  Does the core drop segments?  Or does it buffer them?

It does. Not often, but it does when it needs to.

http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2004/papers/37_4.pdf

Most buffer bloat behavior is at the edge - WiFi, Mobile telephone, broadband. There are other cases. But think about dumbbell networks - two fast networks connected by something slower. That's where you'll find it.