[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 11 07:14:21 PDT 2013

Am 10.04.2013 22:44, schrieb Fred Baker (fred):
> On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Daniel Havey <dhavey at yahoo.com>
>   wrote:
>
>>> In the face of this, what I don't understand is why this
>>> thread has gone on for so long.  Surely it should be
>>> allowed to die, given that the core -- possibly reasonable
>>> -- concern was long-ago answered.
>> So I don't understand this.  The so called "bufferbloat" problem is solved in the core?  But pragmatically speaking it still exists?  This wont get me a PhD, but, one has to ask, why?  Does the core drop segments?  Or does it buffer them?
> It does. Not often, but it does when it needs to.

And this was, at least several times in this discussion IIRC, clearly
identified as a configuration problem. At least when packets are dropped
to that degree that this causes a problem like buffer bloat. To my
understanding, the Internet core (Tier 1) does overprovisioning, hence
drops should be extremely rare there.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937