[e2e] Codel and Wireless

Keith Winstein keithw at mit.edu
Thu Dec 5 16:16:23 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Andrew Mcgregor <andrewmcgr at google.com>wrote:

> By the way, fq_codel is not a combination of SFQ and CoDel, but something
>  else.  The code deserves really close study to understand what is really
> going on there, because there is a very interesting contribution in terms
> of heuristically measuring whether flows are building queue in the qdisc or
> not.  Empirically, this works really well on user access links, including
> LTE, by my own direct observation having run it on my home network's LTE
> link for many months now.

Andrew, I'd love to hear more about how you do this. Do you run fq_codel on
the uplink or somehow also on the downlink? How do you prevent the LTE
modem or baseband from buffering hundreds of kilobytes inside itself -- do
you use an upstream traffic shaper (to prevent the LTE link from becoming
the bottleneck) or something more sophisticated?

Cheers,
Keith