[e2e] What are the shared resources? Re: Codel and Wireless

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Dec 23 05:08:29 PST 2013

Am 23.12.2013 01:30, schrieb Andrew Mcgregor:
> Look up all the research on 'effective bandwidth' and 'grade of
> service' (not class of service), and read some large-deviation
> statistics.  Then go see the model of TCP as a stochastic differential
> equation.  It comes together eventually.

Did you even read, what I wrote? You argue with exactly those models
which I blamed to be artefacts.

In addition, you MUST NOT (by no means ever) make a conjecture for short
term behaviour from long term statistics. (Actually, this is a major
mistake which I meed EXTREMELY often by reading papers on this matter.)

What differential equations or difference equations are concerned: These
look always fine in papers. However. With respect to computer networks
their use is highly questionable. Particularly for mobile networks they
are - and after dealing with this subject for fourteen years now this is
a statement I thought about very much - no way appropriate.

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937