[e2e] Why was hop by hop flow control eventually abandonded?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Jul 17 03:52:57 PDT 2013

Am 16.07.2013 23:24, schrieb Bob Braden:
> I believe that hop-by-hop flow control only works with per-flow state
> in the routers (see X.25 for example). Once the decision was made that
> the routers should be stateless, end-to-end flow control was the only
> option. That is what the end-to-end principle is all about.
>
> Bob Braden

Is this really the "end-to-end principle"?

To my understanding, Jerry Salzer indicated that it is an important
discussion whether a certain mechanism is placed on the communication
end points or somewhere along the path.

The Salzer paper is not primarily a "principle", it is more a "culture
of thorough thinking".

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937