[e2e] Why was hop by hop flow control eventually abandonded?

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Wed Jul 17 09:25:49 PDT 2013

i'd say bufferbloat is only one part of the problem. the other is and for a long time has been underutilization. it's long been the problem of congestion control - empty networks! but we're all waiting for stuff to happen as fast as possible...

meaningful aggregates are, for example, several flows that share the same bottleneck along their individual e2e path - they could be treated "together", rather than each probing the network on its own in one way or another